When Used Consistently Honey Guarantees Radiant Skin Free from Scars, Spots, and Blemishes.
Honey face masks for treatment of acne prone skin is a popular DIY remedy that is haled as effective for all skin types. In fact honey has been used throughout history to treat burns, cuts and even reduce skin inflammation. Honey is revered as a fountain of youth and beauty because apart from being full of powerful skin saving oxidants, honey also has anti-bacterial, antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties. If you are acne prone, then before exploring treatment options, it is essential to fully grasp what causes acne. From there, you can logically deduce why these amazing natural masks come in handy in treating acne.
What causes acne and why honey face masks are an effective treatment regimen
Scientifically called acne vulgaris, it is a universal skin problem. Acne starts when dead skin cells mix with excess sebum oil to clog skin pores making the skin susceptible to bacteria. When the mixture of bacteria, oil and dead cells leaks to nearby skin tissue, it causes redness, swelling and pus. When these aberrations heal they leave behind dark unattractive spots that make the skin dull and unattractive.
Honey face masks are effective in treating acne because:
Honey has anti-inflammatory properties
This comes in handy in soothing and healing inflamed red acne making pimples less pronounced
Honey is rich in antiseptic and antibacterial pigments
These properties help fight off acne causing germs and bacteria and this prevents re-occurrence acne. Additionally, it also ensures that permanently damage the skin by leaving behind unattractive dark spots.
Anti aging capability
Honey contains a hefty serving of antioxidants making these masks extremely effective in delaying the aging process specifically the wrinkling and spotting. Polyphenols present in honey obliterate the free radicals that cause oxidative stress in skin cells and this significantly slows down the skin aging process. Additionally, the antioxidants also help to moisturize the skin and restore its natural glow.
Honey helps cleanse the skin by opening up skin pores making them easy to unclog
Here is a brief overview of the potent nutrients in honey that make it an indispensable ingredient in making facial masks for treatment of acne
Vitamin B1 and Vitamin B2–help in the proper functioning of healthy skin by protecting against free radicals
Vitamin B6-Comes in handy in the formation of new skin cells which ensures the skin remains adequately moisturised and hydrated hence soft and smooth
Vitamin B3–has anti inflammatory properties that reduce acne inflammations. Also helps to hydrate and moisturise skin.
Vitamin C-Helps heal rashes and also soothe dry itchy skin.
Zinc-Helps fight the activity of free radicals therefore slowing down the aging process of skin significantly.
2 Home Made Honey Face Mask Recipes for Acne Treatment
1.) Acne Blasting Face Mask
This face mask is effective in absorbing excess sebum from deep within the pores. Additionally, this acne-fighting face mask also helps to nourish, exfoliate and cleanse skin.
- 1 teaspoon of Honey-has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that remove germs from clogged pores and reduce acne swelling
- 1 teaspoon of Oats-nourishes all skin types and has absorbent qualities that help remove excess sebum from glands, gently exfoliates skin to remove dead cells hence promoting supple and smooth skin.
- 1 teaspoon Orange Peel Powder-Rich in vitamin C; therefore helps in evening out skin discolorations
Mix all the ingredients and spread evenly on face using fingers. Leave on face for 15-30 minutes
2.) Acne Scar Fading and Skin Hydrating Face Mask
This delicious smelling face mask helps hydrate the skin and fade dull and unattractive acne scars. The ingredients include:
- 1 teaspoon crushed Avocado-Rich in vitamin and healthy fat which helps lubricate and feed withered skin, moisturizing it and giving it a supple feel and look.
- ½ teaspoon Cinnamon-Has anti-inflammatory and skin-lightening properties which help reduce acne swelling and also fade acne scars.
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg-has anti-inflammatory properties that help reduce inflammation and redness caused by acne
- ½ lemon juice-rich in vitamin C that helps remove acne scars and dark spots
Mix all the ingredients until they form and using fingertips gently coat your face. Leave it on the skin for 25-30 minutes to allow deep penetration
Advantages of DIY honey face masks
Budget friendly beauty
You can either use honey on its own or combine it with natural affordable ingredients that acre readily available. Honey is affordable and sufficient on its own; as it acts as a cleanser, complexion booster, cleansing agent and anti ageing ingredient.
Appropriate for all skin types
Honey based facial mask recipes are great for all skin types. Honey is appropriate for all skin even for those with sensitive skin conditions such as rosacea and eczema. Since it is natural there are no detrimental side effects that can further damage skin.
Equally as relaxing and effective as commercially-produced facial masks
Apart from being relaxing, homemade masks for acne are deal with a variety of other skin issues that make the skin dull-looking.
Convenient and time saving
Most ingredients used to make these masks are easily accessible and probably already available in your kitchen. Additionally, no time is wasted going to the spa. You simply whip the ingredients together and you are good to go!
- Always use a freshly prepared face mask to avoid the risk of using one that has contaminated ingredients that can harm skin
- Wash off the mask using clean water and not soap; soap is hash and can dehydrate skin. Start with lukewarm water then cold water to ensure you tone your face and increase muscle firmness.
- Go for raw honey because processed honey goes through heating that obliterates beneficial nutrients that heal acne prone skin.