Toe nail fungal infection also known as onychomycosis in medical terms is a common infection. This condition is characterized by discoloration of either one or more the nails on your toe. The infection can spread and lead to the thickening of your nails or even cause them to crack. As the infection worsens it may cause your nail to separate from its bed which can be painful or produce bad odor. The infection has the capability of spreading to other nails on your toe therefore managing this situation is very important before it escalates.
Some of the causes of this infection are and not limited to: improper personal hygiene, covering your feet for too long with socks and shoes, sharing your footwear with those infected, putting wet feet into footwear immediately after taking a shower and having a weak immune system. Traditionally prescription oral anti-fungal is used to treat this condition. However they come with their own share of side effects. This is one of the main reasons as to why you should try home remedies. Below are some of the remedies that will be of help to your fungal infected toe nails.
1) Apple cider vinegar
This is one of the most efficient treatments for toe nail fungal infections. This substance can be applied both internally, topically or a mixture of the two.mix apple cider vinegar and Epsom salts in the ratio of one to one. To this mixture add six parts of hot water.
Let the mixture cool for a moment and then gently lower your feet into the mixture and soak them. Do this for about thirty minutes twice a day. To sweeten this beverage mix two spoons of organic apple cider vinegar, eight ounces of warm water and one teaspoon of honey.
2) Baking soda
Due to its alkaline nature baking soda makes for a good alternative when you want to take care of your toe nail fungal infection. It is major role is to prevent the fungus from spreading further and not necessarily killing them.
- To make a paste mix baking soda and warm water in the ratio of 2:1.use a cotton wool to apply the resulting paste on the infected toe nails. Leave the paste on and then rinse after about 20 minutes. Do this twice a day for a period of about one month
- Alternatively you can soak your feet in a solution of baking soda, white vinegar and lukewarm water. Lower your feet and soak them in this solution for 15 minutes. Remove them and pat them dry using paper towels. Repeat this process twice a day for a period of two months.
3) Tea tree oil
This oil contains both anti-fungal and antiseptic properties that will assist kill the fungus infecting the nails on your toes.
- Thoroughly clean the infected area by use of alcohol. After cleaning apply a few drops of this oil on top of the nail. Do this daily for a period of one month.
- Another way you can do this is to put four to five drops of this oil into a basin that’s full of lukewarm water and then soak your feet into the solution for say 15 minutes and then remove them and pat your feet to dryness. Do this two times a day for a period of one month.
4) Oregano oil
Oregano oil contains powerful antifungal as well as antiseptic properties that can help cure your toe nail fungal infections.
- Mix five drops of oregano oil with two teaspoonfuls of extra virgin olive oil
- By use of a cotton ball, apply the solution to the infected toe
- Let it stay there for about 10 minutes.
- Then by use of a toothbrush, scrub away the upper region of the nail. After this rinse off with warm water.
- You should repeat this procedure at least on a daily basis for a periods of three weeks
- Crash about eight garlic cloves until they are fine in texture and then add them into a basin of warm water. Soak your feet into the solution for about 30 minutes. Remove them and then pat them till they are dry. After they have dried apply some petroleum jelly to the affected area.
- Do this on a daily basis until you rid your toe nails of the fungal infection completely.
Listerine contains an active ingredient called thymol which has very powerful anti-fungal properties. On top of this Listerine also possess antiseptic powers.
- Mix Listerine and apple cider vinegar in the ratio of 1:1
- Soak a cotton pad into the solution and then put it on top of the affected area(toe nail)
- To hold the cotton in place wrap a small bandage around your toe nail and leave it for about 45minutes
- After this gently scrub your nails using a soft toothbrush
- Do this daily for about one month
Turmeric possesses powerful antiseptic properties that can prevent the recurrence of fungal infections
- Grind dry roots of turmeric until they become a powder.
- To make a thick paste mix one tablespoon of this powder with water
- Apply this paste on the infected area. Let it stay there for about two and half hours.
- After this rinse it off with warm water and thoroughly dry your toe nail.
- Repeat this process twice a day until you your nails of this infection.
8) Olive leaf extract
An active substance in olive leaf called oleuropein is said to have antimicrobial, antifungal and immune boosting properties. You can apply this extract directly to the affected toe nail or ingest it as a capsule. a good way is taking these capsules alongside meals twice in a day. Remember to take a lot of water when undergoing this treatment
In the treatment of your fungal infections be sure to include a good probiotics supplement. a healthy gut bacteria which is created by these probiotics will ensure that the growth and spread of parasitic fungi is hindered. An important point to note is that this supplement should not contain any sugars or artificial fillers that may end up feeding the already unwanted fungus
10) Vicks vaporub
This is a topical ointment. Although originally designed to suppress coughs it can come in handy in treating toe nail fungal infections. It has active ingredients in the form of camphor and eucalyptus oil that can help you treat toe nail fungus.Its use is pretty straight forward. Just apply a small amount of this product to the infected area at least once a day.
How to deal with funky smell in nail fungus smell and bad odor in other parts of the body
Bad breath, stinky feet and an offensive body stench are extremely uncomfortable and can cause low self esteem. Smelling a little less than fresh can be easily resolved by consuming food that can help achieve full body freshness. Here is brief but detailed run-down of some of the funky smells we deal with on a daily basis and foods that can help resolve this disturbing problem.
Battling Bad breath
Sometimes it is difficult to resist eating foods packed with onions and garlic even though you fear the bad breath that will quickly follow. To temporarily resolve bad breath; spearmint, peppermint and fresh parsley will come in handy in making bad breath a thing of the past. These herbs can temporarily mask bad mouth odor because they have a strong natural aroma that is very pleasant. However, keep in mind that these herbs are only a temporary solution and they cannot alleviate chronic bad health. They are just a quick fix that can come in handy when in an emergency.
Milk can also come in handy in temporarily getting rid of bad breath. If you have a pungent garlic breath then a glass of milk will help alleviate the pungent smell. Actually this has even been proven scientifically; a reliable study conducted by Ohio State University established that milk reduces sulfur content in garlic therefore countering the strong garlic smell. Sulfur is the smell causing element is garlic.
Foods that can come in handy if you are battling bad body odor
If you are suffering from bad body odor then am sure there is no solution you are not open to trying. Here are some foods that can help battle bad body odor
Apart from being delicious and highly nutritious, citrus fruits such as oranges and lemons can also come in handy in ensuring body freshness. Scientifically speaking, citrus foods are rich in citric acid which helps flush water through the body. Additionally, citrus fruits also have a high fiber content; this ensures that the digested food moves slowly through your system and in the process flushes out accumulated toxins including those that cause a funky body odor. If you are battling bad body odor then consider snacking on an orange or grape fruit and with consistent consumption you will see an improvement.
This might seem misconstrued because of how smelly fish is but reliable studies actually prove that eating white fish can significantly reduce funky body odor. According to exhaustive studies it has been established that red meat contributes to bad body odor. This is because red meat has complex proteins; when these proteins are being digested by the body, it leads to the skin releasing unpleasant smells. This kind of effect is not present when the body is digesting fish. If you are dealing with bad breath then it might help to reduce red meat consumption and substitute it with white fish such as tilapia and catfish.
Foods that can help you battle stinky Feet
Here are some foods that will help you restore freshness to your stinking feet:
Apple Cider Vinegar
This natural product is an effective all-natural cure for a variety of issues that people deal with; such as gastrointestinal issues and excessive weight gain. Apple cider helps battle stinking feet by killing bacteria and drying excessive sweat that has accumulated on the feet. Apple Cider is very effective in killing bacteria because it is rich in phenolics and acetic acid which make the feet a very acidic environment that cannot favor bacteria growth and survival. Make an effective apple cider concoction by simply mixing apple cider vinegar and with lukewarm water. Use this concoction twice a week for effectiveness.
The reason feet smell sometimes is because they are enclosed in tight shoes that do not allow sufficient air supply despite excessive perspiration. You are probably wondering how cornstarch can alleviate bad odor from fee right? It’s actually quite simple; cornstarch is highly absorbent therefore when applied on feet it absorbs excess moisture hence neutralizing the funky smell.
This might seem a bit unconventional but it is actually really effective. Scientifically speaking, oysters are rich in zinc which is strongly linked to neutralizing bad feet odor. Other foods that are rich in zinc and can also help include: lobster, crab and dark baking chocolate.
By including these foods in your regular diet, you can naturally counter funky body odor.